The wine seminar at Aqua Vitae Institute teaches an in depth understanding of not just how to serve and pair wine, but why wine is vital to the profits of so many bars, we cover:
- Differences in production between Red, White, and Rose Wines.
- General Characteristics of Different Varietals, from Pinot Noir to Cabernet Sauvignon
- Flavor and Profile Contrasts of Old World and New World Wines
- Wine Cellar Basics
- Storing and Preserving Opened Wine
- Learning and Appraising a Wine List Quickly
- Wine and Food Pairings
- The Order and Etiquette of Opening and Presenting Wine
- Wine and Cheese Tasting
Wine knowledge is very important for two reasons. The first is that there’s very little branding when it comes to wine. In reality, besides brands like Yellowtail and Dom Perignon or Veuve Cliquot, most people are hard pressed to think of a wine to order. Guests need to be guided to the best wine based on what they want to spend.
The second reason is that Wine will oxidize. In fact, typically the price of a glass of wine at a restaurant, will be around the amount the restaurant spent on the bottle itself, wholesale. The restaurant owners don't know if they can sell more than one glass before the bottle oxidizes. That means the ability to sell more than a glass on every bottle is especially important. Otherwise, the restaurant will never be profitable.
Go Back To Our Bartending School Page